Protein pancakes have become quite trendy as of late with many recipes compromising on taste. This delicious protein pancake recipe, however, does not disappoint and is well worth the effort. It is both tasty and satiating and is a fantastic brunch option. It can, of course, be eaten at any time and with its high protein and carbohydrate content, it is also an ideal pre- or post-workout meal.
Yield: 6-8 pancakes
Preparation time: approx. 5 mins
Cooking time: 5-10 mins
*Nutritional values per serving (excluding toppings):
Kcal 444 | Protein 31g | Carbohydrate 35g | Fat 20g
- 1 cup/90g rolled oats
- ~1.5 scoops/50g of whey protein
- Vanilla and chocolate work really well, however, most flavours will suit here – feel free to experiment
- 1 egg
- 1 cup/250ml full fat milk
- Coconut oil as needed (~1 tbsp)
- The coconut oil gives a nice aromatic flavour to the pancakes (olive oil works well too)
- In a food processor or even in a smoothie maker, blend 1 cup of oats until the oats are fine in texture.
- In a bowl, mix the blended oats and the protein powder.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and the milk.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- In a non-stick pan, heat ½ a tsp of oil, when the oil is hot pour a tbsp of the pancake mix and spread to form a thin layer. Leave to cook at a medium to high heat until you can feel the pancake is no longer stuck to the pan (you will see the edges of the pancake start becoming a light golden colour).
- Using a spatula carefully go around the edge of the pancake to check if it has been cooked throughout (it should be a nice golden brown colour). Turn or flip the pancake over, and cook the other side as before.
- Carefully transfer the pancake to a plate, and serve with a topping of your choice.
- 1 tbsp of honey/maple syrup and a sliced banana.
- Greek yogurt (1-2 tbsp), 1 tbsp of honey and mixed berries.
- Mango, passion fruit and Greek yoghurt (1-2 tbsp).
To add a little extra flavour and texture, sprinkle desiccated coconut on top – get creative!